Re: Decomposing?

Subject: Re: Decomposing?
From: Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough <nm -at- NoAdsPlease -dot- ii -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:24:36 -0500 (EST)

On 9 Dec 1999, Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca> wrote:
> The word "decomposed" usually means "to break something into
> its basic component parts". It's a bit of a rare usage outside
> mathematics, but for that reason, it's probably familiar to some
> programmers.

I just today was trying to figure out a better word for
deconstruct/decompose/disect. I looked all these up in
dictionaries and thesauruses and still haven't figured out a
better word than "decompose." One interesting thing I discovered
is that "disect," which I thought was a basic word that everyone
learns in high school biology, is not in any of the dictionaries
I have -- WEIRD! Anyway, I'm using this word in the title of a
section of my "Procmail Quick Start," which is at:

http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

Right now the section title is "Decomposing a Recipe" and it
follows a section called "Anatomy of a Recipe." Probably "disect"
fits better with "anatomy" but I'm concerned about it not being
in dictionaries. Any suggestions for this section title are
welcome!

Thanks,
Nancy

BTW, my background is math so that's probably why I thought of
"decompose."

--
Nancy McGough http://www.ii.com Infinite Ink
-----== Sent via Debian GNU/Linux running on a 486 ==-----