Re: Motivation

Subject: Re: Motivation
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de>
To: "Heit, Debra" <DHeit -at- elliptus -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:50:38 +0100

Hi Debra,

you wrote a good reason for avoiding overtime:

>> 5. Refusing to lower your standards and produce less
than the best possible even if the company doesn't
recognize the difference (there's a difference between
working OT happy and working OT mad).

>> Touche! How about pure passion for what you do and the
quality of it? As a technical writer every project should be considered a
feather in your experience cap. I never think of it as giving to my
employer, but rather broadening my experience.

My motivation is to bring good results with high standards to help the
clients using the products.

Avoid overtime does not mean: never work overtime.
The item is: our body is no machine, and even machines need some time for
reconstruction.

(Lot of) Overtime means: lower productivity, more mistakes, less quality,
become sick (After two years of extensive overtime to keep deadlines, I
spend two months in a hospital and at home, I had to realize, that my body
is no machine, I could not even walk around. And I did not feel any sign
before.)

Last year we had a new project manager, and he said: there were tests,
showing: if you work more than 40 hours a week you will have lost the same
time you work more:

for example: suppose, you work 50 h in a week

40-50 = -10
40-5 = 30

So you really worked only 30 hours effectively, the other time you spent
fixing the results of overtime.

And it was true: it became much easier to keep the deadlines, and to have a
family too and some time for yourself too.

(PS: This is a long term law, in exceptional situations, overtime may be a
solution.)

Best regards

Bernd
Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
PRE PRESS GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-21
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-55
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de