RE: Motivation for Overtime?

Subject: RE: Motivation for Overtime?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: DHeit -at- elliptus -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:42:25 PST

Debbie Heit said (in response to the question, What motivates you to put in a lot of free overtime?):

....How about pure passion for what you do and the quality of it? As a technical writer every project should be considered a feather in your experience cap. I never think of it as giving to my
employer, but rather broadening my experience.

Tony Markatos responds:

There is, typically, little correlation between hours worked and a "passion for quality". Let me explain by way of an example that I am sure most of us can relate to - developers. (Note: the same applies to TW's, it is just easier to envision for developers.)

I know of a lot of developers who (individually) put in tons of free overtime. And yet, I have never - in almost fifteen years of experience - seen one of these individuals produce a flow-chart (let alone a data flow diagram or entity relationship diagram) that even approaches academic standard.

Quality work is so much more than doing work - it's planning work! (Please, no "but we are too busy to plan" comments. Very few experts recommend an "always think with your hands on the keyboard approach" to development.)

What most (in my opinion, the vast majority) of developers (AND technical writers) who play the "hours" game are saying is, "Please Mister boss-man, I know that I have not properly planned my work (and that therefore, its quality sticks), but I beg - by way of a ton of free overtime - for mercy." This is FEAR in its purest form!

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)