Re: Famous Technical Writers?

Subject: Re: Famous Technical Writers?
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>
To: peter -at- highsoft -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:55:10 -0800 (PST)

Peter Gold writes:
> I haven't seen Tracy Kidder's name on this thread. He wrote "Soul of a New
> Machine," in the early '80s, in which he described the development, from
> start-to-finish, of a new computer design. It covered technical stuff in
> clear plain language, as well as documenting the whole year in the life of
> the team's members.

I believe this was about the development of the Data General
_Eagle_. This book also gave a fairly accurate impression of the
mindset of the people doing this kind of work. I recommend _Soul of a
New Machine_ to anybody seeking to understand the computer
programmer/engineer mentality.

My favorite line from the book has to be "have gone to a commune
in Vermont, where I will deal in no increment of time smaller than a
season."

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com