RE: Tracking off

Subject: RE: Tracking off
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:57:53 -0700

John Garison wrote:

<snip>
Too much condescending information is annoying and will alienate your
readers. Do you still tell them to "Press
Enter" after every command?
<snip>

Salette Latas answers:

I tell users to press Enter when they need to press Enter. I document many
applications with screens that look like forms. Many users are accustomed to
pressing Tab to move between fields in a form. If they press Tab on this
particular system, the current field is cleared. Perhaps this is not a good
UI, but my job is tell the users how to work with it anyway.

Isn't it almost as condescending to assume that more experienced users of
the system won't be able to read my instructions and skip the parts they
already know?

salatas -at- micron -dot- com