FW: Tracking off

Subject: FW: Tracking off
From: Atticus Fisher <AtticusF -at- pciwiz -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:13:12 -0500

My cow-orker has taken interest in this thread and asked me to post his
02...

I couldn't agree more.

Even before making assumptions about subject matter, I think many companies
(and their tech writers) make incorrect assumptions about their audience's
general knowledge of computers.

We all laugh at stories like "I broke the cup holder on my computer" but I
believe the people who make such calls represent a significant portion of
the end user audience. Yet, companies produce documentation that begins
with the assumption that the audience has a working knowledge of Windows.
It's been my experience that this is often not the case, even for some
technical audiences.