Hyphenated terms in prof'l/trade journals.

Subject: Hyphenated terms in prof'l/trade journals.
From: MorganFoster5000 -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:08:52 EST

I am editing a technical journal article and am supposed to retain British,
rather than US, spelling. (I'm from the US.) Does anyone know whether the
rules regarding hyphenation of words vary between these two versions of
English (per below)? Spellcheck hasn't helped.

For example, can anyone familiar with the following terms, pertaining to the
concrete industry, tell me whether they are correctly hyphenated (in British
English): sheet-steel, deep-drawing, gel-coat, high-performance concrete,
crash-test (as in cars), blank-holder, metal-charged resin, light-reflected
microscope, and single-action press? Perhaps hyphens should be eliminated to
create two separate words, or eliminated to create one word? (I think some
are probably correct, as is, too.)

Also, would you think that "macrocrack" should be "macro-crack"?

Any assistance/opinions will be quite appreciated.

MorganFoster5000 -at- aol -dot- com

Previous by Author: Many thanks
Next by Author: Hyphenated terms in prof'l/trade journals.
Previous by Thread: Too much information? Organize it better.
Next by Thread: Hyphenated terms in prof'l/trade journals.

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads