RE: Is there an "official" term for this process?

Subject: RE: Is there an "official" term for this process?
From: Jim Cort <jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com>
To: "'techwrites'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:43:54 -0500

I'm working on a system right now that uses this kind of function. The
programmer called it an incremental search.
Jim Cort
Technical Writer
Jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com <mailto:Jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com>

When you invoke Help in a Windows application, most
times you get a three-tabbed window and one of the
tabs is called Find.

This window is divided into three sections.

What I need the name for is the following process:

Start typing in the first field. As you enter letters
in the first field, the selection on the list in the
second field gets reduced to match with what is being
typed in the first field.

What is the name for this "process"?


John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."
Do You Yahoo!?
Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place.
Yahoo! Shopping:

Sponsored by Weisner Associates Inc., Online Information Services
Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and
HTML-Based Help.
More info at or
mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Sponsored by ForeignExchange (
Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
software localization and technical translation services.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: JamesC -at- TOTALTEL -dot- COM
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
leave-techwr-l-10514K -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: RE: Two trach documentation
Next by Author: RE: Introducing graphics
Previous by Thread: RE: Is there an "official" term for this process?
Next by Thread: Re: Is there an "official" term for this process?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads