RE: Training materials and audience

Subject: RE: Training materials and audience
From: "Michelle Wolfe" <WOLFEM -at- bcbsil -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:26:37 -0600

Carolyn wrote:

<< . . due to limited time and resources, we're attempting to create a single training document for everyone. >>

I don't want to be a pessimist, but the above task is IMPOSSIBLE <grin>

While you can create one training document for everyone, the results of the training may suffer. If you modularize the document, based on the learning objectives, you can customize a course in a relatively short time by pulling only the modules that address the needs of the audience.

It seems to me that you will need a quick course in instructional design to provide valuable training materials for your customers. If you are a contractor, perhaps sub-contracting an ID person may be a good idea. If you are an employee, suggest that your company obtain the services of an ID person to design the course. As a technical writer, you should be able to create the documents based on a design document created by someone skilled in instructional design.

There are times when we have to depend on the expertise of others to meet the needs of our clients. It is not that we are bad Technical Writers or Instructional Designers. It is only that we know our limitations!

Michelle Wolfe
Training Consultant