RE: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?

Subject: RE: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Grega, Will" <WGrega -at- intelisys -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:23:48 -0500

Will

The following are 'traits'/'features' that I think will assist in defining a
definitive baseline for a technical writer.

Desired Features of a Technical Writer

1) Able to Read
2) Able to write
3) Have thick-skin
4) Be flexible
5) KNOW "I can (do)/(learn) that" (and then study like ... to get the
requested
information so it can be done)
6) Have a knowledge of different style guides (CMS, APA, GPO, etc)
7) Have a toolkit (hopefully, a copy of the style guides in 6) above)
8) Eagerness to LEARN
9) Take criticism
10) Understand the conventional use of industry/trade specific words,
phrases, etc.
11) Willingness to use the tools provided, and make suggestions for
transition to newer tools
12) Know a lot, or have a familiarity with, of the ancilliary tools
(spreadsheets, graphics, drawing, etc)
13) Willing to take on the role of 'teacher'/'mentor'/'student' as required
(on a moment's notice)

I only mention these because it is what I have had to do over the past
"several" years