RE: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?

Subject: RE: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:40:36 -0500

One of the things that I have found, since I started with PC's in 1985 was
that there are three things that people understand makes up the 'pc'.

(Tongue in cheek).

The keyboard, the monitor, and the 'hard drive'.

Not to mention that memory is the space on the hard drive. (Comment) "If you
don't have enough memory, take some of the garbage you have stored on your
hard drive off and make room for something else." (When you have a 6.4 gig
Hard Drive, with only 1 gig used.

"And by the way, I copied the files to the C:\ drive and I can't get to any
of them." (Observation: The files all got put in c:\ (root), with all of
the other stuff).

It is helpful as an exercise, to describe the process of taking the computer
apart and putting it back together again. It definitely helps you to
understand that 'excruciating' detail may sometimes be necessary.

The word pictures that we sometimes have to paint in order for someone to
understand some things often take a circuitous course. And then you get
"NOW I understand what you were trying to say."

Just some observations

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email are
mine and mine alone. They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions of
any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I might belong
to."

Scary, isn't it?