RE: Terminology help needed!

Subject: RE: Terminology help needed!
From: Lisamarie Babik <lmbabik -at- winspc -dot- com>
To: "'Beth Kane'" <bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:49:14 -0500

I consulted with our programmers, and they said it's called a "Tool Tip"...

I than looked it up in the handy-dandy Microsoft Manual of Style, and it said
(amongst other things) that most buttons are named in ToolTips. So, squeezing
all the meaning out of that scant definition that we can, I'd say that those
little pop-up rectangles are called ToolTips.

ToolTip, incidentally, is one word, with both Ts capitalized. It's not a
Microsoft trademark...

Lisamarie Babik
lmbabik -at- winspc -dot- com
Documentation Specialist

DataNet Quality Systems
24567 Northwestern Highway
Fourth Floor
Southfield, MI 48075

-----Original Message-----
From: Beth Kane [SMTP:bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com]
Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 12:12 PM
Subject: Terminology help needed!

I posted this question to the list a couple weeks ago and received only two
responses -- maybe because I posted it on a Friday afternoon. So I figured
I'd try again.

I'd like to make sure we're using the correct term to refer to a feature in
our interface.
Our applications have lots of "hover help," wherein holding your cursor over
something causes a line of text to appear in a rectangular box, explaining
that item. This help text disappears within about 3 seconds.

The previous writer of the docs I'm working on referred to it as "fly-over
hints." I've heard others casually refer to it as "hover help." I've also
heard this term: "Help hints." What is the proper term?

It can't be ToolTips, because it doesn't just describe toolbar buttons.
was suggested by the MS manual of style. Using the word "screen" kind of
me, though, because that word went out with DOS (unless, of course, you're
referring to the monitor's entire screen). MS says you shouldn't say

Thanks in advance,

Beth Kane, Tucson
bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com

Sponsored by Weisner Associates Inc., Online Information Services
Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Sponsored by ForeignExchange (
Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
software localization and technical translation services.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: lmbabik -at- winspc -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-18234A -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: RE: ethical consulting practices?
Next by Author: Guide to the hardware documentation process?
Previous by Thread: RE: Terminology help needed!
Next by Thread: RE: Terminology help needed!

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads