Re: Terminology help needed!

Subject: Re: Terminology help needed!
From: Alan M Hegarty <alan -dot- hegarty -at- prs -dot- de>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:12:21 +0100

Beth Kane wrote:

> Our applications have lots of "hover help," wherein holding your cursor over
> something causes a line of text to appear in a rectangular box, explaining
> that item. This help text disappears within about 3 seconds.
>
> The previous writer of the docs I'm working on referred to it as "fly-over
> hints." I've heard others casually refer to it as "hover help." I've also
> heard this term: "Help hints." What is the proper term?
>
> It can't be ToolTips, because it doesn't just describe toolbar buttons.
> "ScreenTips"

Beth

Tooltips vs hover help:

go with tooltips, so long as you're passing on narrative/descriptive
information;
for the naming the parts-stuff, tooltip is "clearer" instead of "help
hint" or "fly-over".

With "hover help", i'm tempted to ask if you can cross the English
Channel.....

for most othercases (99%), where those pop-up menus provide more than
just what-it-is info,
maybe you can choose commands or something, use "context menu" or
possibly "context help".
(though i favor "context menu");

does that help?

alan

> was suggested by the MS manual of style. Using the word "screen" kind of
> bothers
> me, though, because that word went out with DOS (unless, of course, you're
> referring to the monitor's entire screen). MS says you shouldn't say
> "hover."
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Beth Kane, Tucson
> bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com

> Sponsored by Weisner Associates Inc., Online Information Services
> Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
> More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

> Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
> software localization and technical translation services.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: alan -dot- hegarty -at- prs -dot- de
> Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.

Alan M Hegarty Phone: +49-(0)6 11-17 31-6 14
Patzschke + Rasp Software AG Fax: +49-(0)6 11-17 31-31
Bierstadter Str. 7 email to: alan -dot- hegarty -at- prs -dot- de
D-65189 Wiesbaden Web Site: http://www.prs.de