Re: What's Telecom?

Subject: Re: What's Telecom?
From: "Jane Bergen" <jbergen1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Michael Johnson" <michaelj -at- oecmed -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:21:56 -0600

Yeah, all of those and more. You failed to mention telephone network
systems...both public and private. That's a big part of telecom. I
work in the telecom industry in Dallas, Texas. Dallas has somewhat of
a reputation for being telecom city, depending on who you ask of
course. And the software that I write for is an intelligent call
routing application, aimed specifically at call centers. We capture
all the info passed along with a call, then use that info to route the
call, store it for statistical purposes, etc.

If you're interested in this little (but growing and highly lucrative)
niche of telecom, I can recommend two books. They are on my bookshelf
at work (and I'm at home), so the titles may not be exactly right
"Strategies in Computer Telephony" by Shapiro, and "Computer
Telephony" by LAN Times. If you want the exact titles, let me know and
I'll get them for you on Monday. Both are fairly easy to read, but
give you excellent high views of the telecom-telephony industry.

Here are some URLs that might be helpful:

http://www.inboundacc.com/
http://www.flatironpublishing.com/ct_white.htm
http://www.teleconnect.com/
http://itel.mit.edu/