ADMIN: Just a heads up

Subject: ADMIN: Just a heads up
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 06:26:14 -0700

Gang,
Hope everyone is having a great holiday season.

In the spirit of defying the whole Y2K issue, we're
moving the server to a new home tomorrow. (Same
service provider, same physical machine, but different
location.) This will give us a far bigger pipe into
the Internet, a better physical location, and (much
to the relief of our provider) get the traffic this
server generates away from his day-to-day stuff. ;-)

The catch to all of this is that the machine's IP address
will have to change, which could mean a couple of days
(worst-case) of sporadic disruption ("Server not found"
or "Mail host not found" type errors).

The server will move tomorrow (12/31) around midday
Pacific time, and the DNS changes have been set to
take place at around the same time, so in an ideal
world, you'd notice about an hour of downtime, then
everything would return to normal. Realistically,
access and posting might be flaky from tomorrow AM
through sometime on Saturday.

So, please keep that in mind as you enter the New
Year and want to celebrate online. There's nothing
at all you need to do other than be patient until
Saturday, _if_ you have problems. If you have problems
accessing the site (www.raycomm.com) or list on
Monday or afterwards, check with your local ISP or
system administrators first and ask them to reset
their DNS cache, then try again, then contact me if
problems persist.

Thanks!
Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com