Collaborative Articles on LinkedIn - Thoughts?

Subject: Collaborative Articles on LinkedIn - Thoughts?
From: Jody Zolli <jody -dot- zolli -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:01:22 -0500

I got a messaged from LinkedIn recently asking me to contribute to what
they're calling "collaborative articles". The message indicated I was
selected to be part of an "exciting" new way to share what I know.

The gist of the program:

"Weâre unlocking community knowledge in an all new way. It starts with an
article on a professional topic or skill, written with the help of AI â but
itâs not complete without insights and advice from people with real-life
experiences. We invited experts to contribute."

"Collaborative articles are knowledge topics published by LinkedIn with
insights and perspectives added by the LinkedIn community. These articles
begin as AI-powered conversation starters, developed with our editorial
team, but they arenât complete without insights from our members. A select
group of experts have been invited to contribute their own ideas, examples
and experiences within the articles."

Potential benefits they list include "helping others learn" and the fact
that "contributors will also have the potential to earn a new Community Top
Voices badge when their contributions reach top contributor status, showing
the value of your insightful expertise".

My guess is that their editors are creating a prompt to AI-generate an
article that people contribute to (and, I suspect, fact check it as they
go) to make it more useful.

I'm guessing they're doing this in many areas/disciplines, but the cynic in
me feels, in the tech writing area in particular, this is like asking us to
work for free....?

I'm wondering if others have gotten this type of invitation, what you
thought of it, whether you chose to contribute, and if so what that was
like.

-Jody
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com