Re: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:03:28 -0400

Okay, I'll play. I use some open source tools - Syn,
WinGrep, and WinMerge for three. When Acrobat Reader
mysteriously stopped working on my husband's machine, I
immediately went to GhostView with no qualms. And he just
loves FireFox.

But when it came to choosing graphics apps for work, my
primary concern was making sure my files would be compatible
with those from the PR firm we use. Adobe file formats being
as persnickety as they are, buying CS only made sense.

And I've tried Open Office, but it wasn't for me. A couple
of bugs got seriously in my way. Some of the functionality
that I rely on in Word just wasn't there. It was great for
distributing Word docs to my *nix-based team, but that's
about the extent of its usefullness for me.

I think that part of the problem that the open source
community has is the lack of uniformity in the quality of
the software and the lack of uniformity in the quality of
the user experience. Yes, some packages install easily.
Others... Well, John P went there. <g>

Then, too, many corporate users need to convince the folks
in IT that open source is the best way to go. In many
organizations, that just isn't going to happen anytime soon.

MHO YMMV FWIW ...
-Sue Gallagher

John Posada wrote:

> > Bruce...I'll give you my reason, you may not like it, and you may
> > have lots of yeah-buts. However, it is MY reason.

And Bruce Byfield answered:
> We could have an interesting discussion about those yeah-buts. However,
> whether I agree with the answers is beside the point. If nothing else,
> I'm as curious about perception as reality.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com