job future of tech writing

Subject: job future of tech writing
From: Chris Hester <chris -dot- hester -at- AQUILA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 10:38:00 -0600

I agree that most tech writers will work on a contractual basis
in the future. The obvious reasons are for the benefit of the
employer--fewer benefits paid, space saved, etc. etc. However, in my
case, my current employer lets me telecommute. Having worked at home
for several months now, I'm finding the idea of contract work more and
more appealing: working at home has saved me commuting costs and child
care costs; I'm pretty much self-managed; and because I get the work
done when it's best for me (early a.m./late p.m.), my stress level has
gone way down. IMO, the next step for me career-wise is contract work:
I'd have all the benefits that I have with telecommuting, but even more
money :-).

As far as Arthur Anderson goes, that organization almost always has an
ad in the Chicago Tribune for technical writers.