Re: technical writing portfolios?

Subject: Re: technical writing portfolios?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Klinck, Kristin" <kgklinck -at- essvote -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 08:32:39 -0800 (PST)

> I receive the digest, so please copy me directly in
> reply

Hello, Kristen..I'm replying to both you and the list
because I believe that this list isn't for the sole
personal use of a reader, but the list community.

Anyway. When designing the portfolio...don't think of
it from the perspective of you, the owner, but the
reader.

You the owner, would like to have a complete version
of everything and therefore, are looking for a medium
(CD), that would allow you to do so.

However, put yourself in the context of an interview.
A major part of the interview is, for lack of a better
word, the "flow" of information in such a way that you
are painting a mental picture in the interviewer's
mind, of what it would be like to have you working for
them. Whether you like this or not, an interview is
only a sales pitch and you are the product being
pitched. This requires control of the situation and
the ability to very quickly access a piece of your
portfolio to augment a point being discussed. The
portfolio is only to reinforce the point you are
making, it isn't the point of the interview itself.

Now, with something online, how easily can you access
the appropriate piece of your portfolio while keeping
the interviewer's attention to what you are saying,
while futzing with the PC, finding the appropriate
example, AND presenting it in such a way that the
example you are demoing is getting the attention and
not the delivery mechanism (the PC).

My suggestion. Your portfolio is a very well
constructed binder. A small number of the most visualy
appealing pages of each of your impressive online
helps are reproduced in hard copy, and the whole help
application is kept on a CD, but ONLY BROUGHT OUT IF
THE INTERVIEWER ASKS FOR IT. Do NOT present the
information in any form where you cannot keep control
of the situation and not have the delivery mechanism
take the spotlight.

Example: I was in sales for about 15 years prior to do
what I do now. Often, what I was selling was also
available in a brochure. It was VERY important that I
gave the brocure at the end of the presenation instead
of at the beginning because if I put the brochure in
their hands in the beginning, the brochure would steal
their attention and they wouldn't compeletely hear
what I was saying.

--- "Klinck, Kristin" <kgklinck -at- essvote -dot- com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any advice on putting together a
> technical writing
> protfolio?
>
> I obviously wouldn't be able to include entire user
> manuals, so initially I
> was thinking of creating something on CD. This way

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."
http://messenger.yahoo.com