Re: hyperlinks in printed WORD docs

Subject: Re: hyperlinks in printed WORD docs
From: Katav <katav -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Benzi Schreiber <benzi -at- tradeum -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:13:36 -0800 (PST)

I can think of several options to "hiding" a hyperlink
(hot link) in Word. (I dug around Word's Tools >
Options and failed to find anything that would hide
the links from a printer. I was looking at Word 2000.)

If the only occurrence of an underscore is under a
hyperlink, simply
* press [Ctrl]A
* select the Underscore icon on the Formatting toolbar
(or press [Crtl]U); repeat
* print file (do NOT save _or_ SAVE AS [new
filename]).

If underscore is appears under characters other than
hyperlinks, some foresight is required.
* When the file is created, whenever a link character
string (e.g. http://www.katav.com/ ) is blocked to set
the link ([Ctrl]K) apply the hyperlink CHARACTER
format to the string, then use [Ctrl]K.

(If you Word lacks a "hyperlink" character format,
create one. Format > Style > New > Style type: =
Character .)

Save the file normally.

Hide the hyperlinks as follows:
* press [Ctrl]A
* select Default Character Font (all characters are
returned to the default for their
STYLE; in other words, an Heading 1 with attributes of
24 point Rashi italics small caps
stays (or, if modified by line formatting) as it was
set in Format > Style, while the
hyperlink character format converts to the surrounding
paragraph format.
* print file (do NOT save _or_ SAVE AS [new
filename]).

Because I am a tad lazy, I would create a macro to
perform the change procedure (and another to restore
the original document). Put a couple of buttons on a
toolbar and I'm all set.

By the way, even after the Default Character Font is
applied, the hyperlink still is live; it simply LOOKS
like normal text.

=====
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

http://messenger.yahoo.com