Re: Persuation

Subject: Re: Persuation
From: Katav <katav -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 06:40:48 -0800 (PST)

Quick thot and tangent from thread - technical writers
are SMEs for documentation; we need to make it
crystal clear to one and all that while this or that
person is an SME in his/her discipline, _WE_ are the
documentation/communication SMEs and certainly deserve
the same respect, pay, etc. as any other professional.

Until we - the writers, editors, artists, compositors
- present ourselves as SMEs, ain't nobody gon'na do it
for us.

--- Laura Winkelspecht <daisylion -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Delurking...
>
> I recently had to do this exact thing. The arguments
> I used included the
> following:
>
> Writing skill. Even people who think they have good
> writing skills might not
> be able to write technical documentation. Just like
> I could never write a
> novel. ;)
>
> Documentation system skill. Unless a person is going
> to use the system on a
> regular basis, it wastes much time just becoming
> familiar with the system.
> In addition, a tech writer will know how to format
> and organize a manual to
> make it the most user friendly.
>
> Having an SME do the documentation takes the SME
> away from what they are
> supposed to be doing, what they are trained and paid
> to do. Because of this,
> documentation usually is low on the priority list.

<many good words snipped>

> Laura Winkelspecht
> Documentation Coordinator
>

> bernice kieffer asks:
>
> >I find myself in need of some ideas for a 15 minute
> persuasive speech
> >I have to give for a presentation class. Question:

=====
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

http://im.yahoo.com