Document Sampling

Subject: Document Sampling
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: Tech Comm List <techcomm -at- user -dot- itconsult -dot- co -dot- uk>, Tech Writers List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, Winhelp List <WINHLP-L -at- ADMIN -dot- HUMBERC -dot- ON -dot- CA>, WORD-PC -at- LISTSERV -dot- LIV -dot- AC -dot- UK
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:53:35 -0600

Within 2 months, I'll probably be starting a task that will take 1227
OfficeVision documents and turn them into multiple .hlp files as our
software is going to move to Visual RPG. I want to create a style guide
before undertaking this project, but have no desire whatsoever to look
at 1227 documents to find every possible situation that would need a
section in my style guide. No, I will probably not be the only person
working on this, but additional staff has not been hired, at this point.

So my question is about document sampling. I thought if I took a number
of documents and looked at them, I could create a style guide that would
encompass most every situation I would encounter. Is there an equation
or rule of thumb that would give me a mathematically sound sampling of
these documents?

As an aside, can anyone translate the following phrase:

<snip> Is it necessary to commentarily wax rhapsodic about Rick Allen's
custom-made drum set and then trash him for not playing loud enough for
you? <snip> I'm looking for an interpretation of the phrase
"commentarily wax rhapsodic," two words of which I could not find in my
dictionary.

Thanks for your help re: sampling!

Paul