Re: Adobe FrameMaker (buyer beware)

Subject: Re: Adobe FrameMaker (buyer beware)
From: "Kay Ethier" <kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:38:05 -0500

I will make just two brief comments, without addressing the issue of
software license violations.

1. if you buy Frame products second hand or through some special deal, you
need to be wary. Some companies sell Frame "cheap" because they have an
educational license or Not For Resale copy. If you get one of these, you
may find later that the serial number is restricted and does not allow you
to EVER purchase an UPGRADE.

2. If you really, really need to get hands-on with FrameMaker and can't
spend big bucks, Adobe and Adobe's VARs provide free demo CDs upon request.
These allow you do do everything except SAVE. Separate CDs are available
for FrameMaker or for FrameMaker+SGML. Just contact your local Adobe office
or a local Adobe rep. (If you really need to SAVE, refer to Item #1 then go
buy a license.)

Kay Ethier
919.547.0129
Bright Path Solutions