Re: Interview Expense - Contractor Job

Subject: Re: Interview Expense - Contractor Job
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 16:37:29 -0500

Tony Markatos asks:

> Do you always do an in-person interview for the contract job?

No. In fact, when I have interviewed for a job at a distance, both
interviews have been on the telephone. I did one one-on-one with the
contract project manager and a conference call with the clients and the
contractor PM.

> When you have to do an in-person interview who pays for the travel/lodging
> expenses?

If I travel to interview with you, you pay. This is called "a token of
sincerity." I've known contractors who have travelled on their own nickel
only to find out that the prospective employer was merely "considering their
options." What it meant in this one case was a protracted negotiation with
a local contractor.

Tom Murrell