British English technical variations

Subject: British English technical variations
From: John Nesbit <janesbit_99 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:45:39 -0800 (PST)

We have run into a British client who is VERY
particular and demands that we translate any of our
American technical material into proper British
English. So we have a native British person reading
the material and revising the spellings and
colloquialisms, etc.; however, we have run into a few
questions from her that we're not sure about.

So wondering if anyone here has first hand knowledge
about any of the following:

First, what differences exist between a British
keyboard and a standard American one, if any? For
example, is there a £ sign instead of $ sign?

Second, when consumers use Microsoft products, do they
buy versions ?translated? into British English: does
the Program Manager in Windows 3.1 become Programme
Manager for British consumers?

Third, in ?Express setup automatically chooses the
applications and utilities that will?? does the word
?utilities? in context seem clear enough, or does
?utilities? need clarification or translation for a
British reading audience?

Realize that some of these are very detailed, but
they could lead to some broader discussion as well.


Baseball playoff time! See my Stan Musial pages at
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.

Previous by Author: RE: iff vs. if in documents
Next by Author: Re: [Fwd: British English technical variations]
Previous by Thread: Re: Indexing: how to test an index
Next by Thread: Re: British English technical variations

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads