Soliciting writing appliance recommendations

Subject: Soliciting writing appliance recommendations
From: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- osi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:26:33 -0800

Hi,

I'd like to write in bed, using a keyboard on some kind of electronic
note taker. I don't want to spend $1,000's on a laptop (I have a very
nice desktop, thanks), and don't need fancy software to do the
writing--Wordpad or even Notepad would do. I suppose I could find a used
laptop that's got an old, character-based interface, but would prefer
something simpler still.

Is there such a thing as a "palm-top" with a large enough keyboard to
type on comfortably? It wouldn't even have to have a hard drive--just
enough flash memory to hold a couple of hundred pages, and a USB or
other connection to download it to my desktop. It'd also be nice if it
had a 25-line by 80-column screen, and ran on AA batteries.

Does such a thing exist? How much is it, and where would I find it?

--
Regards,

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications