RE: Disabling Print

Subject: RE: Disabling Print
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:31:02 -0500

Tom Murrell wrote:
> I'll be really interested in learning if you can do this, because *I*
think
> the answer is NO. In fact, I'll be very disappointed if there is a way to
> disable my browser's print capability from your intranet server
> or from your HTML document.

Speaking as someone with several binders stuffed with printed
web pages from internet sites about web-stuff, I tend to agree
with you. I don't remember everything I read (there's TOO much
information on the web!), so it helps me to make a reference
"book" of the tips & tricks I come across (on web page design
mostly), plus I'd rather read from paper than the screen while
trying something out.

However....I did come across a method to prevent printing of
a web page, using styles. Works in IE. With NN, it caused the
printer to lock up. <Sigh>

> You want to know WHY people would print from the browser an obviously
> inferior copy than order a beautiful one from the Documentation
> Department? It's easier. It's quicker. There's less hassle.

Well....only if it works. The reason this has come up is
because people have complained that it ISN'T working.
I don't want to spend any amount of time trying to figure
out why not, and neither does our MIS dept. A good solution
already exists--call the Doc Dept and in mere minutes you
get a *double-sided* document designed for paper. My
intranet design, when printed--when printing works--wastes a lot
of paper because of the wide margins, and being single-sided.

(By the way, I'd respond directly to Tom, except our firewall is
changing incoming email addresses to use OUR address. So
unless a message contains the address in plain text , I can't
click 'Reply' -- it just bounces back a fatal error. Sigh. Technology
can be marvelous. Except when it ain't.)

Thanks to all who've answered, both to the list and privately.
I'm probably just going to increase the visibility of the "header"
that tells how to get a printed copy.

Jessica