RE: Disabling Print

Subject: RE: Disabling Print
From: "John Locke" <john -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:44:44 -0800

I just did a little searching, and found an event called onbeforeprint, that
Internet Explorer 5 can use to launch a script. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/events/onbeforepri
nt.asp. Any Web developer should be able to use this event to send a pop-up
to the browser notifying the user to get the document from the doc
department...

However, it only works in IE 5 (other browsers will ignore it), and it
cannot cancel the printing. It can recommend to the user that they cancel
the print, however...

It is meant to be used to format the document before printing (fix spacing
issues, show text, etc.), and in conjunction with the onafterprint event to
undo the changes...

Tom Murrell wrote:
I'll be really interested in learning if you can do this, because *I* think
the answer is NO. In fact, I'll be very disappointed if there is a way to
disable my browser's print capability from your intranet server or from your
HTML document.