Re: Soliciting writing appliance recommendations

Subject: Re: Soliciting writing appliance recommendations
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:13:47 -0500

Mark Dempsey wrote:

> Is there such a thing as a "palm-top" with a large enough keyboard to
> type on comfortably? It wouldn't even have to have a hard drive--just
> enough flash memory to hold a couple of hundred pages, and a USB or
> other connection to download it to my desktop. It'd also be nice if it
> had a 25-line by 80-column screen, and ran on AA batteries.
>
> Does such a thing exist? How much is it, and where would I find it?

HP Jornada 820. Under 3 pounds, nice 640*480 screen, 8-bit colour,
built-in modem, 190 MHz Strongarm, 16 RAM and 16 flash. A friend who
has one reports performance in the range of a 233 or 266 Pentium II
and battery life around 10 hours. List price is about $1000 US.

It comes with Windows CE and Office CE. I won't buy one until Linux
is available for it, but that might not matter to you.