RE: Future tense in instructions?

Subject: RE: Future tense in instructions?
From: "Bowen, Marianne" <Marianne -dot- Bowen -at- Nextel -dot- com>
To: "'David Slonosky'" <David_Slonosky -at- i2 -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:03:39 -0500

I disagree that "most tech writers" avoid passive voice. I feel that passive
voice has its place, especially in tech writing. Quite often passive voice
allows much clearer communication. If I have the choice between a convoluted
sentence in active voice and a clear, short sentence in passive voice I will
always go with the latter.

Marianne