RE: Changed topic to skills we need - Warning! I am wordy.

Subject: RE: Changed topic to skills we need - Warning! I am wordy.
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM, tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:55:15 PST

Connie Giordano said:

And if you spend all your time planning [including end-user task analysis], how much real technical communication can you expect to do. I would prefer to spend 10% of my time planning, and devote the rest to writing, editing, layout, design, usability analysis and testing, and other the "trades" that I've either mastered or am extremely good at.

Tony Markatos responds:

Note: The biggest part of what I mean by planning is end-user task analysis.

So why spend more than 10% on planning activites? Hey, if everything is working out OK - in terms of end-user satisfaction with the documentation - then one would be a fool to spend more time planning. If you have succeded in finding such a work environment (where 10% planning yeilds highly-usable end-user documentation), I'm jealous, REAL jealous.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)