RE: apologia pro vita sua

Subject: RE: apologia pro vita sua
From: "Brady, Joy" <JBrady -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:25:09 -0500

Elna's correct, of course.

Tech writers can and do make good money. Like I said, my pay's comparable to
the programmers, and I realize that for all of the skills expected of me, I
don't have to wear a beeper and be on call all weekend. At the end of my
post, I expressed joy about my pay. I'm rather new to the field, so I've got
some real dues to pay before I'd get "remarkable" money.

I'm in Central Ohio, and salaries are definitely lower here than in
California, including programmer salaries. Cost of living's reasonable, so
I believe it evens out.

It seems that companies realize that they need a lot of programmers, but get
by with just one or a handful of tech writers. Perhaps the writer who can
"do it all" works for them, because companies I've worked with (apparently
it's different in California?) don't seem to demand GREAT documentation,
GREAT layout, GREAT design, etc. Perhaps this is because they often have no
documentation to start with. They're glad to have "something." Always, a
working product that they can rush out to market seems to be the priority. I
understand why that happens.

Joy