RE: ADMIN: Re: OT How do I unsubscribe?

From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com>
To: "'Chuck Martin'" <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:21:31 -0500

On Monday, January 24, 2000 7:17 PM, Chuck Martin [SMTP:CMartin -at- serena -dot- com]
wrote:
> For me, rather than hating directions, I have high expectations of
> directions (and interfaces) and get quite frustrated when I come across
> either clumsy design or poor directions. Typically I find both together.

I find myself getting slightly miffed every time I see one of those "How do I
unsubscribe?" messages, and the thought crosses my mind to fire a mailnote back
to the poster, saying "Read the bottom of this and every other mailnote you've
received" in the nastiest tone I can muster. Thankfully, that feeling quickly
passes as I reach for the delete button.

While we often turn to the docs when we are frustrated, I think expectations of
the application have a lot to do with whether or not we turn to the
documentation, as well. For example, when my bank offered online banking, it
came with their own software package "Managing Your Money". I installed the
software and used it for years and thought it was very well designed and
intuitive, and never used the User Guide. I actually came across it recently
and thought "Wow! It had a User Guide!". This year, on my bank's
recommendation, I switched to Quicken. Before even installing the application,
I sat and read the User Guide. I suppose I was anticipating that it would be
more difficult. I actually have avoided installing it, because the manual made
it sound difficult, and I have been pondering whether to give up and go back to
my original software, which will probably still work. So, the User Guide has
scared me off installing the software and using it.

I think it's interesting how some people turn to the manual first, and then use
the software; while others will just run the software and only look at the
manual if they get stuck (which is what I would use online help for).

I'd be curious as to other people's experience with this.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

It's a little known fact that the Dark Ages were caused by
unresolved Y1K issues.