RE: ADMIN: Re: OT How do I unsubscribe?

From: "KLEIN, DAVID (SBCSI)" <dk2445 -at- txmail -dot- sbc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:19:28 -0600

Hi all,
I don't want to beat on this critically wounded horse, but I think I think I
have a useful point.

Eric is absolutely correct that the unsubscribe directions are available in
numerous places, including the website and the "Welcome to TECHWR-L" letter
that everyone received when he/she subscribed. With minimal effort a
subscriber should be able to find the command to unsubscribe.

However...his comment that "The process is also documented in every message
from the list" is not entirely true.
I receive the digest in MIME format (i.e., lots of attachments in a single
email). The unsubscribe command *does not* appear in every message. It
appears only in the first message, which lists the titles of all the other
messages in that volume of the digest. I, perhaps like most other digest
readers, do not even open this first message. I just scan the attachments
for topics that interest me.

So, I'm not sure if this "calls into question the overall efficacy of
documentation in general", or should just remind us that not everyone in our
audience is using the same tools or brings the same background knowledge.

I shall now return to lurking....

Thanks,

David

David S. Klein