RE: Is your documentation copyrighted?

Subject: RE: Is your documentation copyrighted?
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:17:02 -0800

Ouch.

Both of these statements are not true, and I simply cannot let them pass
without correcting them. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. I am, however, a
writer who has spent some time in the past familiarizing myself with
copyright issues. I cannot say that I am completely up to date.

Put simply, copyrights are assessed once material is put in tangible form.
Material does not have to be published to be copyrighted. (As a side note,
ideas cannot be copyrighted, but expressions of ideas--once put in that
tangible form--can be.)

I have heard rumblings of changes in copyright laws, but I have not followed
up to see if those changes have been made. As of a few years back, anyway, a
copyright is good for 28 years. It can be renewed for another 28 years.
Anonymous work is copyrighted for 75 years. Copyright laws generally mirror
the Berne Convention, which is an international agreement on copyright that
most nations subscribe to. Some of the rumblings that I heard stemmed from
complaints that 2 28-year terms were too short, that writers were now living
long enough to see their old work pass into the public domain.

You can choose to register your copyright. Registration simply provides
additional potential benefits if you can prove someone stole any rights to
your work. Without registration, you can collect only actual damages.
Registration allows collection of punitive damages.

Registration of a copyright is no expensive, and the paperwork is not
difficult. You can register copyrights on more than one work with one
application (but I don't know if the fees are per work or per application).

By far *the* best book I found on copyrights is the now out-of-print book
"The Business of Being a Writer," by Stephen Goldin & Kathleen Sky. The
information is now out of date, but the explanations are clear as a bell. (I
wish they would update the book.)

If anyone has better, more recent knowledge of the specifics of copyright
law, please jump in and provide corrections. I believe the general outline
here is still correct, though.

--
Chuck Martin
Sr. Technical Writer, SERENA Software

"People who use business software might despise it, but they are getting
paid to tolerate it....Most people who are paid to use a tool feel
constrained not to complain about that tool, but it doesn't stop them from
feeling frustrated and unhappy about it."
- "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"
Alan Cooper

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.