RE: Is your documentation copyrighted?

Subject: RE: Is your documentation copyrighted?
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison), "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:39:03 -0600

In our previous episode, Iain Harrison wrote:

> Outside the US, I expect the conventions are the same, international
> agreements on these things being much more consistent than they were,
> say, 100 years ago.

No, they are different. Copyright does not require any registration here
in the UK.

No difference. That's also true here. The only reason to register copyright in the U.S. is if you're infringed upon and plan to sue for punitive damages.

Copyright exists from the moment of creation. The rules for copyright in the U.S. have changed dramatically, twice, since 1978, and the U.S. is now signatory to the Berne Convention, among other things.

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.