RE: Employment Resources

Subject: RE: Employment Resources
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:07:06 -0500

> From: Tony Rocco[SMTP:tony -at- roundpeg -dot- com]
> I am having some trouble finding a qualified mid-level tech writer to help
> me document the Web sites my company produces for corporations.

<SNIP>

> No offense to those who might have responded my job post, but the resumes
> I received
> left much to be desired. Is this typical for those of you in a position to
> hire tech writers?

Speaking from my own experience I would have to say that sometimes that's
true, Tony. When I've been looking at a general submission of resumes for a
position, maybe one in six or so (purely subjective estimate) is really
targeted at the job advertised. I've talked with managers hiring in several
different areas of several companies and divisions, and I hear from them
basically the same thing. People are going to submit inappropriate resumes,
or be totally unqualified for the job they submit a resume for. It's just
the way some people are, I guess. I don't know how far they get with that
approach, but I never keep a resume if I'm not going to talk to someone.

I would not get discouraged by that, though. I think it should be difficult
to fill a Technical Writer or related position. I know that some people
think anyone can do a Technical Writer's job. I don't think that's true.
Certainly, I am fussy about who I would hire or recommend to others.

Remember, "Many are called, but few are chosen." <G>

Tom Murrell