Best Documentation

Subject: Best Documentation
From: Brent L Jones <brent -dot- jones -at- jadesolutions -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:48:15 -0700

I think the best examples of technical documentation I have ever seen are
the instructions that come w/ modern-day Lego kits. They are entirely
pictorial, the "chunking" of pieces-per-pictograph is brilliant, the
sequencing (build this 'subsystem,' then that one, then join them together)
is topnotch. They are localised for any market, as they use no text (except
arabic numerals to show the sequence of ops--that might be a problem in some
markets).

My 5-year-old son can, without help, take four or five hundred varied Lego
pieces and build a fairly complex structure, just by following the steps. I
wish all technical docs were as effective.

If I had to give a presentation on the power and usefulness of good
technical docs, I'd leave the peanut butter at home, the shoelaces in my
shoes, and instead bring a bunch of small Lego kits.

cheers,
brent

--
Brent Jones, Documentation Manager