Re: Good tech writing schools?

Subject: Re: Good tech writing schools?
From: "Jane Bergen" <jbergen1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Sarah Park" <cul8r_98 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "Techwr-L List" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:42:58 -0600

Sarah,

Lots of universities now offer degrees either in technical writing or
that are technical writing related, but the key is understanding what
your own goals are.... forget schools that "teach" RoboHelp or Word or
FrameMaker. More important is concentration on users...learning how
they learn, how they communicate, etc. Look for schools that
concentrate on communication theory, information design, etc.

In Texas, the University of North Texas at Denton (my alma mater) and
Texas Tech University in Lubbock have very highly-regarded programs. I
believe that Texas Tech has some online courses, as do many other
universities.

You've probably just stoked the very old fires of past debates on
whether a technical writer even NEEDs a degree, but I hope everyone
will just ...sigh...look at the archives for those discussions and
stick to answering your question about *which* type of program to
pursue.

Jane Bergen