RE: Employment Resources

Subject: RE: Employment Resources
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Robert E. Garland" <robert -at- jtan -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:11:37 -0500

At 07:53 PM 1/27/00 -0500, Robert E. Garland wrote:
>Tony Rocca wrote:
>
>> > No offense to those who might have responded my job post, but the resumes
>> > I received
>> > left much to be desired. Is this typical for those of you in a
position to
>> > hire tech writers?
>> >
>> Speaking from my own experience I would have to say that sometimes that's
>> true, Tony. When I've been looking at a general submission of resumes
for a
>> position, maybe one in six or so (purely subjective estimate) is really
>> targeted at the job advertised. I've talked with managers hiring in
several
>> different areas of several companies and divisions, and I hear from them
>> basically the same thing. People are going to submit inappropriate
resumes,
>> or be totally unqualified for the job they submit a resume for. It's just
>> the way some people are, I guess. I don't know how far they get with that
>> approach, but I never keep a resume if I'm not going to talk to someone.
>
>One of the reasons that people may submit "inappropriate" resumes is
>because many, if not most, of the online listings ask for the
>impossible. So, folks feel that the situation is "nothing ventured,
>nothing gained".

Here's another thought -- the position is underpaid.

I occasionally contract through agencies. I've had agencies call me about
prospective contracts where the employer is looking for what I'd consider
intermediate-level skills. Since that's where I think I fit, I ask for
more information.

Here's the kicker: the client is offering $25/hour.

Um, no. I don't think so. Not me, anyway.

I'm sure they eventually find someone. They have to lower their standards
to do it. If they'd fork over some more money, they'd be more likely to
attract qualified technical writers.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer