irregardless IS a word!

Subject: irregardless IS a word!
From: Douglas Max <dmax -at- bellatlantic -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:59:51 -0500

Dear Colleague,

It's been a while since I've posted here, and I'm surprised that I even
saw the post that said "irregardless" is not a word, but nonetheless I
did and it is a word.

Nonstandard, yes. Perhaps not the best choice since so many do believe
it isn't a word. You might not find it in your small dictionary, but
it's in every one of my unabridged dictionaries. Have a look in yours;
I'm sure there'll be some interesting 'usage note.'

One I read said that it's unfair to level such a charge against this
word, saying, for example, that none would charge "ain't" with similar
status. It ain't a good word perhaps, but one nonetheless!

Cordially,

Doug

--
Douglas M. Max
Managing Director LR Communication Systems, Inc.

Improving business communications worldwide since 1969.
Internet-based and on-site instruction with personal feedback.

Don't send that document out before viewing our helpful writing tips!
Free at our site: http://LRcom.com

mailto:DMax -at- LRcom -dot- com (908) 464-1231 fax (908) 464-1350
139 Dogwood Lane * Berkeley Heights, NJ * 07922 * USA