Re: "Team Player" - Please Define?

Subject: Re: "Team Player" - Please Define?
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 100 23:00:55 -0500

Anthony Markatos asks:

I am looking at a tech comm job listing that states that the future employee must be a "team player". What is meant by this? Specifics please.

Dick takes a stab at it:

Anthony, let me beat around the bush by suggesting a couple of things a team player is _not_.

A team player is not someone who is frequently heard to say, "I wasn't hired to do that menial job; it isn't part of my job description; if you want me to do it you'll have to pay me extra; why don't you get a temp to come in and do that; ..."

A team player is not someone who is frequently heard to say, "there is only one right way to analyze this problem and if you don't agree with me you're stupid."

Okay, there's a start. A team player is not a whiner. Anyone else want to jump in here with some positive attributes?