RE: Employment Resources (lack of qualified candidates)

Subject: RE: Employment Resources (lack of qualified candidates)
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:20:43 -0500

> From: Backer, Corinne[SMTP:CBacker -at- glhec -dot- org]
[SNIP]
> Those of you who've had success in this area - what dos/don'ts do you
> recommend for a good, clear, specific job ad that leaves some "wiggle"
> room
> for hiring new TWs?

FWIW, I think you should always ask for what you want and take what you can
get. It may sound trite, but how often have you hired a "perfect fit" only
to find out there is something awful about this person that you couldn't
uncover without hiring them? It does happen to even the best. Hiring is an
art.

I would make sure to include everything I want in the person I am to hire
then see who has the confidence to reply. The rest is weeding: through
reading resumes and letters, through interviews, and through whatever else
you use. (I know one hiring manager who claimed he used a Magic 8 Ball;
said he got as good a results as he did using more "refined" methods. It
was probably a joke, but there may be a point there.)

> Also, with the current tendency toward "CYA" behavior to
> prevent lawsuits, how would you specifically document/justify your choices
> when making this kind of judgment call?

If that is an issue in your hiring process, then you need legal help.
States vary. For example, Ohio is a "Right To Work" state; laws on this
matter vary. What works for me here might just get you into legal hot water
in Wisconsin.

Tom Murrell