RE: The origins of task-oriented writing as a preference

Subject: RE: The origins of task-oriented writing as a preference
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:28:38 -0500

> From: Mark Dempsey[SMTP:mxd2 -at- osi -dot- com]
>
> Our management has discovered we need "task-oriented" writing rather
> than "reference-oriented" writing in our manuals.
>
> IMHO, the impetus toward task-oriented writing began with popularly
> available software (Word, Quicken, etc.), and is focussed on a large
> audience of relatively computer-illiterated users. The "For Dummies"
> books also address this audience.
>
> Can anyone tell me the origins of this movement toward task-orientation
> in writing?

Now just a cotton-pickin' minute, here. I'm a big fan of the "For Dummies"
books, and I would not call myself even mildly "computer-illiterated". (And
I don't get a dime from the sales of IDG books of any kind.

I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure
someone will. I just wanted to stick up for my growing library of basic
references. (Besides, there is no computer anywhere in my "Golf For
Dummies" book.)

Tom Murrell
Heir Consumptive