good tech writing schools

Subject: good tech writing schools
From: "MacLemale, Laura A. (LNG-MBC)" <Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:03:55 -0500

Hello Sarah,

I can't let this thread go by without recommending my alma mater, Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute (www.rpi.edu). They offer an M.S. in Technical
Communication, along with certificates in both Human/Computer Interaction
and Graphics. It takes about a year to complete, and you can check into
several distance learning options in the program as well. The department
has some strong faculty members, who know the field well.

The program covers a variety of basic skills tech writers need, including
writing proposals, designing documentation, localizing information, etc.
Building on what others mentioned in their responses, you may or may not
need to do some outside exploration of software, depending on your current
comfort level with various software packages. Although the program contains
an overview of some major industry software, such as Quark-X-Press,
Macromedia Director, RoboHelp, and straight HTML, it will not make you an
expert overnight. Overall the program is rigorous and challenging, but
definitely worthwhile.

Good luck,

Laura A. MacLemale
Technical Communications Coordinator
Matthew Bender, part of LEXIS Publishing
1275 Broadway
Albany, NY 12204
Phone (518) 487-3465
Fax (518) 487-3681
Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com