RE: "Team Player" - Please Define?

Subject: RE: "Team Player" - Please Define?
From: "Guy A. McDonald" <guy -at- nstci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:48:48 -0600

> Sandy Harris wrote (in response to the always entertaining Plato):
>>This assumes reward is the motivator. Sounds to me like you've swallowed
the whole market-driven schtick. <<

Karen Casemier takes another logical step with:

> I would much prefer to spend my free time with my husband, my dogs, my
cat, my horse, good food, good wine, good music, and good books rather than
write help systems. The reason I do go to work every day is I need to pay
for those things. <snip> And there is no way I would work as hard as I do if
I could do 1/2 the work for the same reward. I have a feeling I'm not alone.

No you are not Karen - indeed. However, the pseudo-intellectual Die-netic
gurus depend on people, who are like lemmings, to buy their tripe.
Eventually people either reject the business pop-culture motivational
poo-poo or they end up eating/breathing/living at XYZ, Inc. "They" who are
out enjoying the rest that life has to offer are either castigated at
Saturday working parties or mentioned at after hours "team building
exercises." Ironically, it boggles my mind at how many of these functions
are held at the local Dew-Drop-Inn.

Does this mean "team playing" is an oxymoron? By no means -- it used to be
years ago that if a person didn't share the load in a job... s/he were
branded as a "no-load, one-way articulated, swing, check valve" or a "diode"
then cut off from the vine. People who play "I've got a secret" or "You
can't play in my sandbox" are enemies of any company. The cascading and
cyclic result ends in despair -- as people work longer hours for the same
product. There is no need to repeat what is written in volume in the
business press. Organizational behaviors contrary to a learning environment
breed apathy, dissenchantment, and anger. For GDIs like me, they end in a
two-line letter of resignation with a forwarding address.