RE: Special Characters in Web Docs

Subject: RE: Special Characters in Web Docs
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: "'John Wolf'" <johnwolf -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 10:24:18 -0800

No you cannot be comfortable that everyone has that font. And graphics won't
work either; what happens if users have graphics turned off, or are using a
text-based browser?

HTML 4.0 has a large list of character entities, including Greek characters
and scientific and math symbols. The list I'm looking at now is in the book
"HTML 4 Unleashed Professional Reference Edition" (sorry Eric, I do have
your book too). I'd guess that numerous online sites have this information
too.

HTML character entities start with "&" and end with ";". While you can user
either the entity name or value, using the value is generally considered
"safer," that is, it works on more browsers and platforms.

--
Chuck Martin
Sr. Technical Writer, SERENA Software

"People who use business software might despise it, but they are getting
paid to tolerate it....Most people who are paid to use a tool feel
constrained not to complain about that tool, but it doesn't stop them from
feeling frustrated and unhappy about it."
- "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"
Alan Cooper

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.