RE: Mac/Window button names

Subject: RE: Mac/Window button names
From: Brent L Jones <brent -dot- jones -at- jadesolutions -dot- com>
To: "'Karen Neeb'" <KNeeb -at- Winnebago -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:05:29 -0700

Karen Neeb wrote on 02 February 2000 12:25:

> Do any of you document cross-platform software that uses
> different button
> names depending on what platform the user has? For example,
> OK and Cancel
> buttons in Windows may be called Save and Cancel on the Mac.
>
> What is an appropriate way to document the buttons in
> instructions steps? I
> would prefer to just keep one set of instructions rather than
> duplicating
> the entire set for each platform (therefore having to
> maintain it only in
> one place).

What tool are you using to produce the docs? Frame has a conditional text
feature that really rocks in situations like yours. Turn on the PC text and
turn off the Mac text and print out a tailored PC guide, vice versa for a
tailored Mac guide. One file, two (or more) versions, easy to maintain.

If you're using Word, or something else w/out conditional text, I'd go w/
convention 2 from your proposed solutions.

cheers,
brent

--
Brent Jones, Documentation Manager