RE: Interviewing writers

Subject: RE: Interviewing writers
From: "Backer, Corinne" <CBacker -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:13:09 -0600

Chuck Martin wrote:

<coarse bluntness>
No matter how well organized the project, no matter how well identified the
tasks, if the writing is crappy, the documentation will suck.
</coarse bluntness>

I could not agree more. You can spend all the time you'd like on end-user
task analysis, documentation organizing, estimating, and verification, but
if the doc is poorly written and hard to read, it doesn't mean a thing. The
users won't read it. Their productivity suffers (not to mention your costs
increase as tech support is inundated with calls). Planning/evaluating are
important - don't get me wrong - but certainly not *more* important. There's
no way around it - if you want the docs to matter, writing skills matter.

My .02
CB