RE: History of TW before the PC and the Internet

Subject: RE: History of TW before the PC and the Internet
From: jack_vanwye -at- nonhp-ex -dot- cv -dot- hp -dot- com
To: curtisb -at- nurserysupplies -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:45:26 -0800

Curtis,

I am one of those "dinosaur" Technical Writers. I have been a TW for over 22
years. I even pre-date using the typewriter for technical writing drafts!

I first started technical writing for the State of Oregon in a position called a
Management Analyst. You are correct, at that time I had never formally heard of
the word "technical writer" (as a paid profession) in any of the circles with
which I associated. The date in time: May, 1978!

I wrote for several years using a legal pad and ink pens. I would write
detailed accounting and financial reporting manuals manually and then send the
drafts to a secretarial pool to transcribe using a typewriter.

I wrote that way for about eight or ten years. Then, a technological
"breakthrough," my director bought two HUGE, cumbersome Micom word processors.
WOW! Was I in start-of-the-art technology heaven - writing on a "almost
computer!" My TW peer and I would type our drafts and store them on eight-inch
floppies. We then sent the floppies to the secretarial pool once again to have
those folks "copy and paste" the draft material into internally-created
WordPerfect templates.

Now I work as a contractor and own my own TW and editing business with truly
state-of-the-art technology (at least until another six months or so when these
technologies become obsolete - AGAIN! :) at my fingertips.

More questions or need for clarification? Please drop me a note (online or off)
and I'll expand on my personal TW era.

Thanks for the question. Us "old-timers" appreciate the interest!

Jack

Jack Van Wye, CDI Senior Technical Writer
PHM-TIS
Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis, OR 97330
(541) 715-7423